Here is a checklist to help guide you through the most important tasks you need to complete:
- Don’t make any life-changing decisions.
- Request certified copies of the death certificate.
- Speak with your spouse’s employer.
- Call your spouse’s insurance company and file a claim.
- Probate your spouse’s estate.
- Gather the financial records.
- Switch over accounts and cancel credit cards.
- Contact government offices.
- Switch emergency contact information.
A checklist is a good way to help with the immediate tasks. However it’s recommended to have a financial plan to help with the larger issues, like planning for retirement or evaluating Social Security claiming strategies.